- a strong feeling of wanting to have something or wishing for something to happen.
- a longing or craving, as for something that brings satisfaction or enjoyment:
- to express a wish to obtain; ask for; request:
- sexual appetite; lust
- to wish or long for; crave; want.
- an expressed wish; request
Middle English: from Old French desir (noun), desirer (verb), from Latin desiderare (see desiderate).
covet, fancy, solicit., aspiration, hunger, appetite, thirst, wish, want, fancy, inclination, aspiration, impulse, preference, yearning, longing, craving, hankering, pining, ache, hunger, thirst, itch, burning, need, eagerness, enthusiasm, determination, predilection, proclivity, predisposition, yes